Posted on

A new life appeared to come into the mountains as Shri Nathji drove up the winding road to Mussoorie. The hills heaved a sigh of relief as they saw Lord Shankar return again into their midst. For a while they had feared that Shri Nathji had left them forever. 
Gangabai Bhutt had often urged Shri Nathji to leave Mussoorie, recalling how Lord Krishna had eventually left Mathura and settled in Dwarka.
However, Shri Nathji had no intention of leaving his beloved Mussoorie, which had restored him to good health in 1943, when his body had been poisoned by the deadly affliction in his arm
As the taxi went up the winding road, there was the board placed by the City Board of Mussoorie for the tourists: “Mussoorie Nagar Palika aapkaa swaagat karti hai! The City Board Mussoorie welcomes you.”
Indeed, now that Shri Nathji had begun to live in Allahabad, he thought of himself as a tourist going for a vacation to the hills.
From a bend in the winding hill road that went up to Mussoorie, Shri Nathji, Mateshwari, Pran Nath and Priya Nath could see their beloved home, Savitri Nivas. The yellow colour of the house and its prominent location, made it visible from the great distance, even as it stood in contrast to the dark green mountains.
The coolies at Library rushed forward with rickshaws for Shri Nathji, their shrill cries of “Swamiji, rickshaw!” ringing out in the bazaar. There was a hustle and bustle in the bazaar as if some great visiting dignitary had arrived, and all eyes turned to look at Shri Nathji.
Very soon there were Shri Nathji and Mateshwari riding on the Mall in a rickshaw, followed by Pran Nath and Priya Nath in another rickshaw, while coolies carried their baggage on foot.
They all knew where Shri Nathji had to go, and dutifully took him to the iron gate of Savitri Nivas, where Shri Nathji embraced them and rewarded them generously for their effort. “Bandaa Gareeb Navaaz” had arrived in the city of Mussoorie again – the lover of the poor.
The people of Mussoorie, who had long been starved of the sight of Shri Nathji, were delighted to see him, and welcomed him with loud exclamations of joy: “Swamiji aap to bahut dinon se nazar hee naheen aaye! Swamiji you have not been seen here for many days!
Shri Nathji was coming to Mussoorie after an absence of almost nine months, which was the longest he had ever been away from his home-town. Right from 1929 till 1957 Shri Nathji had rarely been away from Mussoorie for any great length of time. Between 1929 and 1941 Shri Nathji had spent six months every year at Mussoorie and the remaining six at Amritsar or Lahore or in later days Dehra Dun. He had spent the entire year 1942 at Allahabad and Naini Tal and Lucknow.
But from 1943 onwards Mussoorie appeared to become his permanent home. In July 1945 the children, Pran Nath and Priya Nath, were sent to Hampton Court School, and thereafter right up to 1957 Shri Nathji remained at Mussoorie for nine months and spent the remaining three months in the plains, whether Dehra Dun, Lahore, Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, Allahabad, Akola, etc.
It was only in 1958 that Shri Nathji had left Mussoorie in July and was returning in April 1959 after an absence of over nine months.