Posted on

One fateful day, in 1967, it was decided by Shri Nathji and Mateshwari that London be left for good. Travel arrangements to India were made and the necessary travel vaccinations taken.
For Mateshwari, the vaccination was to prove a fatal one. The serum that entered her body was like the poison of a thousand sins. Shri Nathji’s divine plan seemed to become clear. Mateshwari was to seek crucifixion in London for the sins of the world. Just like Sita Maharani had left the world in the forests, so was Mateshwari to leave her earthly frame in the spiritually barren forest of London.
Her skin became dark, and a rash spread upon it that defied the best of medical attention. Numerous attempts were made by the doctors in London to seek a cure for the skin disease. If only someone will tell us what poison has been administered into the body, we shall seek an antidote, they said.
Just when it appeared that the rash had begun to disappear, doctors began to apprehend ominous signs of kidney failure. Mateshwari was in hospital for long periods of time.
Nathji, she said, give your blessings to the nurses here who have been serving me.
Though there was considerable negligence on the part of the nursing staff, which caused Mateshwari many moments of acute suffering, she had no bitterness in her heart against them.
The hospital was well equipped with the latest equipment and the best of medical experts. We shall be very surprised if she doesn’t recover, said a certain Dr. Taylor of the Royal Free Hospital in London.
What pained Mateshwari most about her stay in the hospital was the restriction on visitors. She would wait for long hours for Shri Nathji to be allowed into the ward. The visiting hours were brief, and Shri Nathji and Pran Nath would have to leave within a short time.
Mateshwari had finished her work on earth. The rest of her work would be in an invisible form. She had aided Shri Nathji’s mission in life, she had cared for his health and well being and given him an atmosphere of home amidst the seething crowds; she had borne him two children, and reared them, giving them the best education she possibly could. Now the children were grown-up, and they would look after Shri Nathji after she had gone. Her part in the divine drama on earth was rapidly drawing to a close. She would leave Shri Nathji behind on earth along with her two sons, like Sita Maharani had left Lord Rama along with her two sons.
Despite the best of medical attention, her physical condition continued to deteriorate. It was apparent that the vaccination had caused kidney failure. The doctors had at first tried to flush the kidneys with large amounts of water, but this had produced to be deleterious, and Mateshwari’s system had become filled with excessive fluids. The experts at the hospital had then used a new drug, Sorbitol, for the kidneys, hoping thus to clear away the excess fluids accumulating in the body. But the drug had produced a dreadful dehydration that had only worsened her condition. The doctors realised then, that they were powerless to save her. Now her days are numbered, they said to Shri Nathji.
During this period, Mateshwari played with illness like she would play with a toy. She had the strength and courage of a lioness to brave all physical suffering, howsoever acute.
A Maharashtrian devotee of Shri Nathji, a dentist by profession, Dr. Rane, frequently visited the hospital along with Shri Nathji.
One day, Mateshwari said to Dr. Rane:

Dr. Rane! Koi devi, Koi devta, Koi Ishwar meri marzi ke khilaaf naheen jaa saktaa. Main apni marzi se jaa rahi hoon. Mera kaam khatam ho chukaa hai.

Dr. Rane! No Devi, no Devta, no God is going against my wishes. I am leaving this world of my own will. My work in this world is over.

These words were to become legend.
To Shri Nathji, she said: I leave you in the care of your devotees.
When Shri Nathji said to her:

Rabb thheek karegaa! God shall make everything all right!

Mateshwari said:

“Rabb! Kaun saa Rabb! Main aapke sivaaye kissee Rabb ko naheen jaanti!

“God? Which God? I know of no God other than you!”

Mateshwari’s faith in Shri Nathji could not be shaken by the extremes of physical suffering, nor by the approach of death, nor even by death itself.
Shri Nathji brought Mateshwari back to the house. The greatest suffering for Mateshwari had been the physical separation at the Hospital from Shri Nathji and Pran Nath.
A telegram was sent to Priya Nath in America. It was August 1967. He was teaching at the Harvard Summer School at the time. On learning of Mateshwari’s condition, he decided to leave for London immediately.